Re: RGB/PAL over VGA at variable frame rate

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 18:37 +0200, Thomas Hilber wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> the last few days I made some interesting experiences with VGA cards I
> now want to share with you.

Wow!

I can't support this project strongly enough - what a perfect idea!

In the inevitable shift towards HDTV and progressive scanning, I was
becoming increasingly concerned that the countless hours of interlaced
content would be forgotten in the scramble for new and shiny.

Indeed, my own VDR FF based system exists in a large desktop PC case
only because of the enormous (and antiquated) FF card. This project
leads the way for replacing it with something much more compact, since
the card runs hot and it's only a matter of time before it dies.

Is it likely to work with any newer Radeons, or is it because the RV2xx
series is the last to have useful full open source drivers? I have a
couple of RV3xxs (Radeon X300 + X600 Pro) I'd love to try this with :)

Re: http://www.sput.nl/hardware/tv-x.html

I've read this page before, and I dearly love the 'Problems' section
which I've reproduced verbatim here:

"Apparently, some hardware doesn't support interlaced mode. If you have
sync problems, check the sync signal with an oscilloscope."

Yup, because everyone has one lying around ;)

In fact, my biggest problem with this project before now has been the
manufacture of such an adapter - my soldering skills are beyond poor.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to make some VGA -> SCART hobby-boxes
up for a suitable fee? :)

Cheers,
Gavin.