Re: 576i output on DVI->HDMI?

It's my understanding that it is the pixel rate that
is doubled to meet the minimum bandwidth requirement
of 25Mpixels/sec for hdmi.
That is pixels are repeated hence doubling the
apparent horizontal resolution.
This is always the case for the 480i and 576i modes.
The modeline you need should be based on standard
EIA/CEA-861B timings like this:

# 1440x576i @ 50Hz (EIA/CEA-861B)
ModeLine "1440x576" 27.000 1440 1464 1590 1728 576 581
587 625 -hsync -vsync Interlace

Unfortunately I think there is a special flag that
must be set to indicate pixel-repetition is being used
and I am not sure how you would get a graphics card to
do this.
I have not tried using the above modeline so I cannot
comment on whether it works.
Worth a try though.

There is a good list of EIA/CEA-861B modes here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=947830&page=3
I do know the 720p modeline works on my tv.
GTF timings generally don't work for hdmi.

The other issue with interlaced modes is how are the
odd/even fields synchronised?
Is this the same problem with interlaced output on a
good old vga output?

I have often wondered how vdr-xine or xineliboutput
would implement dynamic resolution switching.
It would be easy to upscale everything to a higher
resolution like 1080p.
But what if your tv can handle only 1080i at best.
It would be better to switch resolution
when broadcasts change between 1080i and 720p on a
program-to-program basis.

Stuart