Re: VDR as a set top box

Here is something about my HTPC setup, hopefully  gives  some help or
food for thought to set up your system

syrius.ml@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> To go back to the subject, gdm and kdm allow you to autologon an
> user. The next step would be to run vdr from .xsession for ex.

For gdm, add these lines to gdm.conf to login vdr automatically

AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=vdr

I'm using vdr (sxfe frontend from xinelibout plugin, xine plugin can be
used identically) from Matchbox window manager. It provides user
experience kind between set top box and normal Linux desktop. All
applications are full-screen and all wm operations are possible from
keyboard that can be mapped to be controlled from lirc with irxevent. In
addition to vdr it's nice to run e.g. Google Earth for couch traveling
or Gcompris for kids. Those require a RF keyboard/mouse joystick for
controls.

I had to choose once in manual login for vdr from gdm login menu other
desktop than Gnome/KDE. Successive logins use this setting.
~vdr/.xsession:
---
#!/bin/sh
exec matchbox-session

---

~vdr/.matchbox/session:
---
#! /bin/sh

## Nvidia settings
#/usr/bin/nvidia-settings -l

## Start Matchbox
RANDOM_IMAGE=`ls /usr/local/share/Backgrounds/*1080*jpg | rl -c 1`
matchbox-desktop --icon-size 128 --icon-padding 64 --bg $RANDOM_IMAGE &
/etc/init.d/irxevent.sh restart
exec matchbox-window-manager -theme expose
---

The Menu structure is defined in ~vdr/.matchbox/vfolders. I have created
custom menus to avoid all debian stuff to show up. It is quite easy
generate open desktop configuration files by hand. Top level menu is
defined with these two files. Root.directory:
---
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Programs
Name[fi]=Ohjelmat
Comment=Programs menu
Comment[fi]=Ohjelmat-valikko
Icon=htpc-folder.png
Type=Directory
Match=HTPCRoot
---

Root.Order:
----
HTPC-main
HTPC-internet
HTPC-games
HTPC-system
---

Desktop icon to launch sxfe is on the top level of matchbox-desktop
(/usr/share/applications/htpc-vdr-sxfe.desktop)
---
[Desktop Entry]
Name=VDR (Sxfe Xv)
Comment=Watch digital TV, or play films and songs
Exec=/usr/local/bin/htpc-vdr-sxfe.sh
Icon=vdr-logo.png
Type=Application
Categories=HTPCMain,HTPCRoot
---

/usr/local/bin/htpc-vdr-sxfe.sh
---
#!/bin/sh
NOW=`date "+%Y%m%d_%H%M%S"`

## Stop irxevent
/etc/init.d/irxevent.sh stop

## Run vdr-sxfe
/usr/local/bin/vdr-sxfe xvdr://localhost --lirc --audio alsa --video xv
--fullscreen --nokbd > $HOME/vdr-sxfe-$NOW.txt

## Restart irxevent
/etc/init.d/irxevent.sh start
---

BR,