OT: xineliboutput - DVD subtitles always present

Hi list,

Slightly off topic here, but as there are quite a few users of
xineliboutput on this list, I'm hoping for a clue

I seem to have an odd problem with my freshly rebuilt VDR system now
using xineliboutput to obtain DVI output from an Nvidia MX440 card -
watching DVDs with the including  mediaplayer, the DVD subtitles are
always present (and seem to default to Dutch for some reason).

There's no keyboard attached and I've tried all the obvious things from
the remote control, and check the Xine config file, and
config-xineliboutput but can't seem to find any option to turn off
subtitles.

Any clues?

Steve