Re: HD-TV hardware decoding on motherboard instead of waiting for FF DVB-S2 card

Ondrej Wisniewski wrote:
> This board mounts a CX700M2 chipset which features MPEG2/4 hardware
> decoding. It has DVI and Y/Pb/Pr video output as well as analog and
> SPDIF audio (coaxial and optical). So that's everything we need, isn't it.

Well, looks like the people who pointed out that this chip doesn't
decode h.264 are right. Neither could I find any other decoder chip on
the VIA web pages that would do that. So this is actually a "no go" for
the EPIA boards for decoding HD-TV video.  That means I was wrong and we
really *don't* have the needed hardware *today*, not to mention Linux
support.

Remains to be seen if VIA (or some other manufacturer) comes up with a
small, low power consumption MB with h.264 hw decoding or if we see a FF
DVB-S2 card before that. In the meantime there is no hurry, I'm happy
with the current VDR :-)

Ondrej