Re: Straw poll: stable version 1.6.0 now?

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 02:24:03PM +0000, Jon Burgess wrote:

> The linux kernel development has been through similar arguments about
> the merits of the 2.2/2.4/2.6 development models. I can not see any
> negatives in releasing a new stable version.

It's hard to compare VDR to kernels : VDR is maitained exclusively by
Klaus, so If there is a "stable" release, he would have to spent lots of
time in the stable branch before coming to the new devel branch again.

If you look at the VDR code quality, and stability of the compiled code,
I would say, we already have a stable branch in respect to usability :-)

> Those that require  DVB-S2/H.264 can carry on using the development
> tree. Those that want the other new features from 1.5 can use the new
> stable release without getting dragged into requiring a non-distro
> kernel and frequent updates.

No, I doubt there will be two branches at the same time...
--
Grégoire FAVRE  http://gregoire.favre.googlepages.com  http://www.gnupg.org
               http://picasaweb.google.com/Gregoire.Favre