Re: VDR - xine - CoreAVC

Yes, I started looking at that. I also downloaded some H264 reference
utilities that someone at Dolby put together.

 It seems that you must start scanning the mpeg stream for a Sequence
Parameter Set with a NAL Access Code of 7. At first glance this
doesn't appear too bad, as the code is already in
src/demuxers/demux_mpeg_pes.c to scan for a NAL code of 9 (Access Unit
Delimiter), which it uses to detect the presence of H264 stream.

I thought it would be quite straightforward to find the NAL code of 7
and then parse the SPS and in turn find the height and width
parameters. However, trying to get this to work in sequence is not
that easy as the parse_video_stream seems to want to identify MPEG1/2
or H264 and then just init the decoders. This is where the
initialisation of CoreAVCDecoder.ax is made, currently with the
hardcoded video size of 1920x1080.  What I want it to do is identify
the H264 stream and then keep scanning for an SPS to identify the size
prior to initting the decoder.

It seems that once it's found the AUD it doesn't really want to keep
looking for a SPS. I tried modifying the code to look for a SPS to
init the H264 sequence, however haven't had much success with that
either.

It might be the case that the whole initialisation of the CoreAVC
decoder would be better suited somewhere else in the code.... :-\

Still, I knew nothing about MPEG2 and MPEG4 formats this morning and
now I know a tiny bit! Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I have the
coding skills to be able to finish the job.. :-(