Encoding of SVDRP data?

Hi,

I have an app that retrieves EPG data via SVDRP, but the enconding (or
something related) is fubar and characters like åäö (å ä and
ö) are all wrong in the data I display. What is the encoding used for
the EPG data? I've tried forcing UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 and whatnot and all I
get for those characters is garbage.

What should I really be trying to interpret the data as? My VDR system and the
desktop where I run my app use en_US.UTF-8 system but I assume the DVB
standard specifies something else for the data?

If I do a normal telnet connection to the SVDRP port and do some LSTE the data
is fine, the special characters stay special. PEBKAC, but where?

Best regards,
    Jan Ekholm

--

   Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
                                            -- Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms