Re: [ANNOUNCE] VideoCD Plugin 0.8

"VDR User" <user.vdr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2007 4:59 PM, Halim Sahin <halim.sahin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Vdr User,
>>
>> You don't know video cd's?
>> ??????
>
> If he means VCD's, sure, but then what would be the point since
> playing them (and much more) can be done via the mplayer plugin?  Is
> this plugin meant to be an alternative to that or something?

IMHO the VCD plugin is better suited for playing VCDs as it has been
always problematic to play VCDs with MPlayer via a script. The reason
is that MPlayer needs a track to play (vcd://1 or vcd://2), and VCDs do
not always have the main track at the same position. So, e.g. in my
mplayer.sh I set the track to play #2 as most VCDs that I own have
the main track as #2, but not all of them are like this. Those VCDs fail
to play... Earlier versions of MPlayer allowed a URL like vcd://, but
this no longer works :(

IMO the mplayer plugin should only be used to play video files, not VCDs
and not DVDs, as this is nearly impossible to script it right.

For this reason I'm very reluctant to support this kind of usage in my
mplayer.sh script.

Cheers,
Juri