Re: [patch] avoid inheritance of file descriptors

On 12/10/07 21:07, Deti Fliegl wrote:
> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>> Doesn't SystemExec() (see tools.c) take care of this?
> Yes you are right - it takes care internally but not for plugins like
> dvdswitch etc. In order to fix this problem you could patch every single
> plugin or just set the right file descriptor flag once. I think the
> latter does not cause any interference and should solves some issues.

Plugins can call SystemExec() just as well when the want to execute
an external program.

IMHO it is no feasible solution to expect every file handle to
be opened with FD_CLOEXEC. Even if VDR itself would do this, there
could still be plugins that don't.

I'd say if some plugin wants to run an external program, it needs
to take care by itself that all unneeded file handles are closed.
That's what SystemExec() is for.

Klaus