Re: HDTV - 2B or not 2B

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 01:56:10PM +0200, Füley István wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I followed the recent messages about the future of VDR with great interest
> .
> I would like to share my recent experiences about HDTV. As I consider
> myself to be open for "new technologies" like HDTV is now, I recently
> bought an HDTV receiver.
> It doesn't matter who produced it, I think my hardware is an average HDTV
> setup for 2007: a DVB-S2, MPEG4, H264 compatible receiver with a 1368x768
> LCD display.

Oops, that's really not so good... one can't comment about HDTV with a
resolution which is not full HDTV : 1920x1080...

> My first impressions are: yes, it looks better, than SDTV. Some say the
> difference is comparable with the B/W - color one, well, I don't think so.
> I don't see any reason to watch a news or a serial in HDTV. I think HDTV
> would be fine for a couple of premium channels/package, for ex. a movie and
> a sport channel, and the rest should remain in SD. Considering the huge
> technical investment (20Mbit/sec/channel, high speed dedicated MPEG4
> decoders, which consumes a lot of energy, HDready displays, etc), I'm not
> sure it worths to watch a wheater report in HD.
> Compared to a well encoded 16:9 SDTV channel (for ex. ZDF), an HDTV picture
> does not take my breath away.

Give a try to a REAL hdtv and recomment again ;-)
HDready displays are only crap from what I had see, one really need a
Full HD or there is no "good" reason at all to switch.
--
Grégoire FAVRE  http://gregoire.favre.googlepages.com  http://www.gnupg.org
               http://picasaweb.google.com/Gregoire.Favre