Re: [ANNOUNCE] VDR developer version 1.5.7

Udo Richter wrote:
> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>> On 08/18/07 12:29, Udo Richter wrote:
>>> To add another report, I had some trouble to pick anything but English
>>> at first. After some fiddling and trying the various hints, here's what
>>> was missing for me:
>>>
>>>  [...]
>>>
>>> ... and now it works. Is there a way to make VDR less picky about what
>>> de_DE language variant is installed?
>> Are you sure it's VDR who is picky? Isn't setlocale a little "dumb" here?
>
> In the end, this isn't really important. What matters is that you have
> to explain lots of users that they need to reconfigure their OS language
> from german to german in order to pick german as language manually
> inside VDR.
>
>> Please try the patch I have posted yesterday under "improving i18n-to-gettext.pl"
>> (vdr-1.5.7-i18n-matchlocale.diff)?
>
> Seems to make no difference. Probably because setlocale only accepts the
> full "de_DE@euro" string.
>
> There must be some way how this is supposed to work. Even if my locale
> is set to de_DE@euro and there's no pure de_DE in locale -a, almost all
> distribution' locales are in /usr/share/locale/de/, and they work. There
> must be some mapping from de_DE@euro down to de_DE and de.

Yes, but the other applications are not listing locales nor using
setlocale to change locale to those during runtime, which is the problem
here. If there was another app that does it, it could be interesting to
see how it manages that. I don't know other way than to use the "locale
-a" way, i.e. traverse /usr/share/locale and parse locale.alias.

--
Anssi Hannula