Re: New shutdown procedure not working as expected

Petri Helin wrote:
> Udo Richter wrote:
>> I *think* that these are kill signals received by the child process.
>> Which is strange, as the child does an exit immediately. (Unless you're
>> somewhere between 1.5.1 and 1.5.3 - this changed in 1.5.4)
>>
>> 6 is SIGABRT, 11 is SIGSEGV and 9 is SIGKILL.
>
> I use version 1.5.6. I tested with my normal shutdown script and with a
> script that just does an "exit 0". No difference there. Can the script
> itself have any influence on the return value?

Since 1.5.4, VDR forks into a child that does nothing but fork off a
second child, and do an exit(0). The second child exec's the shutdown
script:

VDR
  +-- Child 1 -> exits
        +-- Child 2 -> runs shutdown

That way the waitpid quickly returns, the second child becomes orphaned,
and no process ends up being a zombie.

Since the shutdown script runs orphaned, the return value of the script
is not evaluated, nor does anyone wait for the script to terminate.

Cheers,

Udo