Xineliboutput and Lirc forwarding

Hi,

I've recently decided to try xineliboutput over my usual choice of xine
plugin.

So far I've pretty happy with it but can't for the life of me get the
lirc forwarding to work.

Lirc is installed, the controller is setup and tested to work (it's an
mceusb2).

Vdr is compiled with lirc support, when I start it the lircd reports
that a client connected to the device.

I copied the example remote.conf from xineliboutput to vdr's config
directory.

When I start vdr-sxfe with --lirc and --verbose it starts and shows me
the tv.

When I click 'up' on the remote (which is one of the buttons configured
in the example remote.conf) VDR does nothing, a look at the console
shows that vdr-sxfe caught the lirc call and dealt with it. It seems
it's not getting to vdr. It's the same with any button I press, whether
it's in remote.conf or not.

The keyboard (also configured in the remote.conf example) works fine and
I can control VDR perfectly with it.

Have I missed a step? The instructions regarding the use of lirc with
xineliboutput were pretty short.

Any help greatfully appreciated. Let me know if you need me to provide
any config files, etc.

Cheers,

Alex