Re: [ANNOUNCE] VDR developer version 1.5.3

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> On 06/15/07 18:07, Anssi Hannula wrote:
>> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

>>> When I do
>>>
>>>      const char *font_name = "sans-serif";
>>>      FcInit();
>>>      FcPattern *fc_pattern = FcNameParse((FcChar8 *)font_name);
>> While fontconfig is usually configured to ignore bitmap fonts anyway, I
>> think you should enforce that by putting this call here:
>> FcPatternAddBool(fc_pattern, FC_SCALABLE, FcTrue);
>
> Thanks.

Actually, I was wrong here. This won't guarantee anything, as the
preference priorities of parameters is predefined, and the family name
and, apparently, various other parameters (which are actually left at
their defaults) are given a priority over the font being scalable. I was
hit with this when trying to select FC_FAMILY "Utopia", and it kept
returning the non-scalable version, even though a scalable version with
the same name is available.

Solution is given here:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/fontconfig/2006-March/002165.html

So it is doable, but you have to use FcFontSort() (
http://www.xemacs.org/Documentation/packages/html/fontconfig_3.html#SEC20
), which returns a similar FcFontSet as the FcFontList() which is used
for the font listing, but this time the fonts are ordered according to
the closeness of match, allowing you to pick the first font with
FC_SCALABLE being true.

[...]

I don't know if you have noticed / thought of these already, but few tips:
- For the fixed-size font list, you can use a match of FC_SPACING being
FC_MONO so that non-monospace fonts are not listed.
- Have a "default" (or "system default") font setting in the font list,
which causes VDR to use the default aliases instead of user-specified font

--
Anssi Hannula