vdr-xine 0.7.10 buffering

hi,

Reinhard Nissl writes:

 > I don't think that this is a matter of vdr-xine but at least it looks
 > like there is a simple solution in xine regarding the annoying pause:
 > try to increase
 >
 > 	engine.buffers.audio_num_buffers
 >
 > and
 >
 > 	engine.buffers.video_num_buffers

Ah, thanks for the hint!  I changed these to the values you recommend
- let's see how it works out...

 > A drawback of such large buffers is that VDR is way ahead the picture
 > you currently see on screen. So if you jump forward 60 seconds, you'll
 > actually jump 70 seconds and if you jump backward 60 seconds you'll only
 > jump 50 seconds. That's why I suggested in my MANUAL to set
 > audio_num_buffers to the smallest value possible which is 4.

This might not be a very bad problem - I wonder how jumping to cutting
marks then works out.  I would guess based on your description that
probably OK (unless the next cutting mark is on a different disk, but
that is again not such a bad problem).

 > In my opinion, a more proper solution should patch VDR to do some
 > nonblocking dummy reads on the next recording file when replaying the
 > current recording file enters the "disk spinup" margin.

Yes, this could be the next step if this "quick hack" should not work
as expected.

Thanks for the info - I'll let you know how this turns out.

yours,
		Jouni