6-channel audio from analog?

Hi,

Simon Baxter wrote:

> My media box has 6 channel output LF,RF,LR,RR,C,SW which I'm using with
> ALSA.  Mplayer plays through all channels fine (settings in
> ~/.mplayer/config), but VDR sourced audio only plays in stereo from the
> LR,RF output.
>
> Given that there is no way to play 'real' surround sound from pvrinput
> sourced audio, what is the easiest way to 'copy' the audio to the other
> channels, so I at least get sound out all the speakers?
>
> Hmm, perhaps this is a setting in xine...?

Just add

	--post-plugin upmix

to the command line, e. g.

	... --post vdr_audio --post upmix_mono --post upmix ...

This is what the audio plugins do:

- vdr_audio is used to select the left or the right channel of a stereo
audio stream by copying the audio data from the left channel to the
right or vice versa. In that way the stream has still two -- now
identical -- channels. This one may be omitted if you do not need this
functionality.

- upmix_mono mixes a mono stream (single channel) into a "stereo" stream
 with two identical channels. This one may be omitted if you do not need
this functionality.

- upmix finally mixes a stereo stream into a 5.1 stream with 6 different
channels.

All plugins process the audio stream under certain conditions so there
is no waste of CPU power and hence no need to remove or disable them in
certain situations, e. g. when replaying 5.1 content.

Keep in mind to select 5.1 as your speaker arrangement in xine's audio
setup page.

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl