VDR user input slowness

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Marko M?kel? wrote:

> > > This is a known driver problem: a link to a patch was posted a few weeks
> > > back which removes this delay. See:
> > > http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/vdr/2007-February/011994.html
> > >
> > > I've always had more success with a home-brew LIRC receiver on a serial
> > > port.
> >
> > I think I'll go for LIRC too.. :( I installed the above patch, it is
> > slightly better but not very much.
>
> But are you using the cx88 kernel module?  My patch probably breaks all
> other drivers depending on ir-common.c or ir-funtions.c, as it is called
> in later 2.6 kernels.  I'm talking about this patch, which I have been
> using since I made it:

I use budget-ci, but I tried to find the correct places in the source
code.

Your had changed the ir-functions.c key repeat handling, and that seemed
to be a good improvement.. But the lag is still there. It might be a
hardware issue in the nova-t dvb card. Remote input is interrupt driven so
it should be reasonably fast, but perhaps the dvb data transfer blocks the
i2c interrupt for too long..

> I don't think that you can notice that kind of delays,
> nor that you would get much smaller delays with LIRC.

My other box uses RCU-compatible remote receiver in serial port, and that
seems to be blindlingly fast. Obviously it is much more direct connection
to VDR, because VDR handles the serial port directly.. I have to think of
something similar to this box as well.

--
Teemu Suikki
http://www.z-power.fi