Feature Request: 10 Second Jump from BigPatch, "switch timer"

Rolf Ahrenberg wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2007, Pasi Juppo wrote:
>
>> Well, wouldn't the solution here be configurable jump length. Forward
>> and backward jump separated so that 1min forward and 10s backward jumps
>> are possible. This way most of the users would be happy.
>
> Well, adding more of those configuration options just confuses most of
> the users, so I'd say no-no to this approach. However, if we cannot
> assing new keys, we could modify the behavious of current ones. If the
> key is repeated fast enough (<1s) the jump would be bigger than the
> previous (+10s -> +20s -> +30s -> +60s). In this way user could easily
> control the amount of skipping by pressing green/yellow buttons in
> different intervals.

When the default configuration is the same as it has been then it won't
confuse any user. This configuration can be put to the last
configuration so that it is basically "hidden". And then there are
Man-pages so no, I don't agree that this would confuse users one bit.
This is not something that needs to be changes constantly..

If this is done via remote control commands then it is not even shown to
the user. If user cannot configure remote control then (s)he most likely
is not using VDR anyway.

Accelarated repeating is very difficult for user to understand without
time bar. Even with that it is very unconvenient because after a short
while the step will be too long thus skips way too far. Rewinding takes
longer because it begins with small steps. E.g. when I use jumping I
usually press yellow several times fast and if necessary then go once or
twice back and fast forward the rest. Acceleated jumping would cause the
commercials to be skipped more slowly (in my case).

Br, Pasi