New VDR hardware

On Saturday 30 December 2006 19:53, Richard Scobie wrote:
> Timothy D. Lenz wrote:
> > Too bad it only has 1 expansion slot. That means only 1 tunner board.
> > I wouldn't even concider anything with less then 2-3 slots.
>
> It does have 4 x USB 2.0 which seems to be becoming popular for tuners
> now.

Nice idea but...

I've never managed to get two USB2 Nova-T devices working together for
extended periods of time hanging off an Epia board. After a few hours,
both of the USB boxes will randomly disconnect themselves leaving a very
unhappy vdr because the DVB devices have disappeared form under its
nose!! i did try various driver debugging options but never came to any
conclusion about why they did this. Most of the time a reboot will
restore them; other times, they need unplugging and a reboot so that they
get the firmware reloaded.

Maybe this is down to a buggy USB chip on the motherboard or maybe I'm
just unlucky and for some reason my two USB devices won't play happily
together (on their own, they can work seamlessly for weeks!), or maybe
it's down to a firmware bug or something. I also have a Nova-T 500 which
is a PCI card containing two USB DVB devices with an on-board USB
controller: that works perfectly (in conjunction with one of the USB
Nova-T devices!).

Other USB devices might work well together, though...

Just my experiences!

My spare USB device is currently hanging off a Linksys NSLU2, a.k.a. Slug,
but that's a story for another day!

;)

Cheers,

Laz