[RFC] Shutdown rewrite for 1.5.x

Udo Richter wrote:
> peter.dittmann@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> The alternative would be to implement a generic task scheduler and
>>> make timers one special type of schedule. This would get REALLY big.
>>
>> Yes, but it will be the much better design.
>>
>> It will open the option to do VDR related timed and maintainance tasks.
>
> There must be some limit. IMHO VDR is a video recorder, not a task
> scheduler. And I think that Klaus probably agrees with that.

I do.

However, (don't know exactly if this has already been suggested as such)
maybe a simple feature in the new shutdown code could be to allow the
user to specify *one* time at which VDR shall be guaranteed to be "up",
along with a time period for which it shall stay up. That way external tools
could be scheduled using "cron", and they could rely on VDR being up
at that time.

But that's about as far as I'd go.

Klaus