Parameter --manual-start/--timer-start

Darren Salt wrote:
> It also needs to cope with being shut down by a signal without any
> possibility of user intervention. Two levels should be available: stop now,
> and stop when inactive.
>
> This helps init scripts when upgrading a packaged-for-$DISTRIBUTION version
> of vdr since there's no guarantee that the upgrade won't be scheduled for
> when nothing is being recorded.

you mean, a way to kill the VDR process only when there's no background
activity? Why not just send a power key via SVDRP?

For the purpose of installing updates, I wouldn't like it if the update
happens when I'm watching live TV either, so we're at the same point
again: Shut down when no user is active and no background activity is
going on. Could be done by abusing the existing shutdown script.

Another possibility would be to query the active/inactive state by SVDRP
commands, either by VDR itself, or by a plugin.

Cheers,

Udo