Record a channel without displaying?

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:33:31 -0000, Michael McQuillan wrote
> The problem I run into is that if I just setup a normal timed recording
> vdr restarts several times as the FF attempts to display, so the
> recording is unwatchable.

According to the German VDR Wiki there was an issue with crashes of the FF
card's ARM processor while receiving HD contents. It suggests to update the
firmware to at least FD2623. Apparently that solves the problem (never tried
myself, though).

> I then had an idea to playback a previous recording whilst recording
> HD which stops the display of HD but as the recordings suffer a
> little bit when (I guess) the card is doing to much at once. Finally
> I came up with the working solution of starting a playback, pausing
> it and then letting the timer do the rest, this works for the most
> part and I have been able to get decent recordings.
>
> I don't know if pause has a time out on it either so this may not
> work for long recordings (I've only done 1 hour at a time so far)
>  and sometimes when a recording starts it stops my playback (I think
> this may be an issue with my set up)

Playback was one of the alternate solutions mentioned in the Wiki. The other
idea was to install the streamdev-server plugin. When configuring it to offer
suspend mode you will get a new mainmenu entry labeled "Suspend Live TV".
Selecting it will display a still picture.

Cheers,
Frank