VDR recordings and Apple iMovie / iDVD

Hi,

has anyone successfully used a Mac and the apps in Apple's iLife suite to
(edit and) burn VDR recordings? I'm happy playing them back using VLC, but
since the Apple apps only understand the formats supported by Quicktime
(and mpeg2 not being one of them), they don't work directly.

I'm looking at a couple of options, and before trying further I thought
I'll ask if someone's had success already.
1. Buy Apple's MPEG2 decoder. Wouldn't want to invest $20 before knowing
it will definitely work.
2. Use VLC to transcode. Takes forever and with my short trial, the output
didn't quite work with iMovie.
3. Find a 3rd party application to cut and burn the mpeg2 files directly.

br,
  jussi

--
. jussi mantere