Utf8-patch experiences, anyone?

Hi,

I have been experimenting with increasing the resolution of the OSD
with xineliboutput with at least some kind of success (see
http://img79.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hdosdrx4.png and try to not
get bothered about the other "images" you are forced to see, this was
the first image sharing site I came across).

Now there are some problems that have come up with the HD OSD. Font
rendering and the way fonts and OSD are used by plugins are the main
distractions. I bumped in to this Utf8-patch
(http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/Utf8-patch) which looks
promising, but failed to find any more information than what is
provided in the german wiki. And the latest adaptation is for VDR
1.4.0. Is the someone out there using this patch and could share his
experiences? Maybe someone has adapted it to the current version of
VDR...

-Petri