SVDRP connection freezes

In <4546AC19.6090409@xxxxxx>, Udo Richter wrote:

> Holding the SVDRP connection for a long time is not a good idea, since
> VDR can only keep one SVDRP connection open at the same time. Holding
> the line permanently would block out other uses like VDRAdmin or
> EPGSearch plugin.

ISTR reading about the one connection limitation, that's a good point.
If it weren't for the freezing problem SVDRP would have suited my needs
so far, but obviously it's an inadequate approach in the long term.

> If you don't want to open the connection dynamically, you can write a
> simple plugin that forwards the key presses. This shouldn't be too
> difficult, since cRemote::Put is thread-safe, so you can open a socket
> and forward incoming key presses from a simple thread. You could even go
> the next step and write a real boxstar-remote plugin for VDR.
>
> If you want to rely on existing stuff, maybe you can use the remote
> plugin from Oliver Endriss for your needs - it supports tty control and
> telnet control.

That sounds like the best idea. If I wrote my own plugin I'd probably
just be effectively duplicating the telnet interface that's already
there. It's well-supported (including a Debian package) and I was
already using its input device functionality before for the Hauppauge
remote. It never occurred to me to look for its telnet interface.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk