Subject: Re: mini-PCI card suggestion

hi,

CR writes:
 > I'm not sure where you're getting the "no on makes good accelerated
 > s-video for Linux", any new ATI or nVidia card has TV-out support in Linux
 > (by using the vendors proprietary driver).

I would warn against ATI chipsets.  My radeon 9200 has been just
dropped out of support by the proprietary driver.

The last version (that still works with my current kernel) does not
support XV, Xorg, and TVout combination (shows only the top half of
the picture), so I have to use Xshm (and waste natural resources, not
to mention CPU cooler humming).  And the Xorg open driver does not
give TVout.  The next time I would upgrade kernel, the card would
become garbage.

And it was not possible to upgrade to the newest kernel, as typically
the proprietary driver would support it a month or two later.  So
kernel upgrading is two phase: download the source package, then wait
for a couple of months, download the ATI driver, then compile and
install.

I guess I would prefer to buy a new flat TV with VGA input instead of
another graphics card.  At least: no ATI any more.

yours,
		Jouni