Recording priority question

I am curious on the recording priorities and especially what is the way
vdr decides which card to use to record at a given time.

My system is now setup this way:
Card #1: Technotrend C2100 rev2.1
Card #2: Hauppauge Nexus-CA
Card #3: Technotrend C2100 rev2.1
-card #3 has the CI attached to it and a Conax CAM

I have setup the card #3 to be my viewing card.

So does vdr select the card which to use for recording by starting from
card #1 and then if card #1 is busy, then card #2, etc? And if card #2
is recording and card #1 and #3 are not, then card #1 is used?

Or is the card chosen in such a way that if one card is already tuned to
the frequency then that card is used for recording that channel?

The reason I am asking this is that I wish to keep my card #3 free for
viewing those encrypted channels and still be able to easily choose
recording on those encrypted channels.

I noticed there is the priority setting, which for recording I currently
have set to 50 and the primary card usage is allowed for only higher
priorities than 55. This would be one way to keep my card free, but then
if I want to record on encrypted channels, I need to set the recording
priority to higher than 55? Not exactly easy for other members of my
family. They can be taught to do it so, but wish there was an easier
solution. ;)

In certain ways I was whondering if there could have been a way to set
those encrypted channels to have a higher priority than 55 on recording
them so that recording would just happen.

I'm basing my question on the understanding that vdr can only tune into
encrypted channels using the card that has the CAM attached to. Is this
valid still?

-Jukka

--
Jukka Palko    jpalko@xxxxxxxxx