Reducing video quality

Jarmo J?rvenp?? wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I was wondering is there an option for reducing the video quality during
> recording, for example records only every second scanline (or whats the
> mpeg equivalent)?
>
> Seems a 250GB space for recordings is not nearly enough and an automatic
> quality
> reduction would be nice in case HDD capacity nears end ;)

Well, you can't do such a quality reduction while recording, but
afterwards you could "requantize" the recording to have a lower quality.
However, at least on Digita DVB-T network the bitrate of video stream is
already quite low, and I don't think lowering that is a good idea.

If it is practical for your case, better would be to encode the
recording to xvid or x264 video file, and then use mplayer plugin to
watch them. (however, I think saving the DVB subtitles from the stream
may take some work here)

--
Anssi Hannula