G450 softdevice

On Thursday 01 Jun 2006 11:01, Stuart Morris wrote:
> I have been reading the 'TV-out, softdevice' thread and it appears
> there are users out there happy with their G450 + softdevice setup.
> I have a G450 but have been put off using it with VDR because
> information on how to get this combination to work on the net is
> poor. Googling gives information that is very old. Can anyone
> provide a concise howto describing everything required to set up
> a G450 head2 rgb-scart with softdevice on a recent 2.6.x kernel?

Have you looked at the TV-out info on the softdevice web page:
http://softdevice.berlios.de/#TV-Out

It was a while ago that I set my G450 up but I think it was pretty
straightforward. Here's hoping that someone will correct me here!

One thing I _can't_ remember is whether the stock matroxfb in the kernel
source works or whether it needs replacing with a different version
(maybe someone else can enlighten us on this!). You will need a couple of
patches which are to be found in the DirectFB source:

matroxfb-g400-clock-2.6.6.patch.bz2 (not quite sure what this one does)
matroxfb-full-memory-linux-2.6.6.patch.bz2 (this lets you use all of the
RAM literally changes a couple of lines)

It looks like the matroxfb-vsync-irq patch has been included in the stock
kernel so isn't needed now.

I made a component RGB cable from the schematics at:
http://forum.matrox.com/mga/viewforum.php?f=52&sid=a1c50e38759f99f96d4bf184cfef9c78
(pretty sure it was the "Scart-RGB cable for the Millennium G450" one
which I bodged from a lead pinched off an old monitor.

Apart from that, I think I just built CVS DirectFB, CVS softdevice and it
all just worked, apart from I was seeing lots of horizontal lines when
scaling to a 4:3 TV (fixed by setting softdevice to 16:9 and setting my
TV to 16:9 or 4:3 as needed!), although I think that has been resolved
now.

As I mentioned in a previous posting it was working perfectly until I
updated softdevice a few weeks back. Now the A-V sync sometimes wanders
and interlaced streams aren't always smooth. Yet to track down the cause
of this...

Cheers,

Laz