[ANNOUNCE] VDR maintenance patch 1.4.0-2

On 28 May 2006 Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So the question is: is it
> worth keeping the API version constant, or should I just go ahead
> and bump it up, and drop all the '#if APIVERSNUM...' stuff and
> include Stefan's fixes?

While I see the idea behind the APIVERSION, it's quite
inefficient IMO.

First point is, that although we have many plugins there are
still loads of patches for the VDR core available. Nearly all of
them change headerfiles (and thus the API) without changing
APIVERSION. So we have different APIs with same APIVERSION,
preteding binary compatibility which isn't always there.

Second is, that there is only one API version for very different
types of APIs e.g. plugin API, channel API, libsi API. This leads
to the problem you face now: it's impossible to do development
(may be beside some trivial bug fixes) without changing any
header file. If you try to keep the API unchanged, it will stop
development. *)

I think it's generaly a bad idea to hold back any bug fix,
improvement or development only to keep an API number constant.

Recompiling the plugins is only a 'make plugins' away from
'make' and I guess time for that is negligible.

Just my two cents.

Regards.

*) Situation would improve if we had different API versions for
different APIs, but we won't be able to code this to the
filename. This could be overcome, by having all plugins to
include a static struct this used APIs and their version. VDR
could check this at runtime.

--
Stefan Huelswitt
s.huelswitt@xxxxxx  | http://www.muempf.de/