Example startup(s)

Hi,

On Sun, 07 May 2006 20:36:49 +0200
Bernhard Fr?hmesser <borsti@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are there some examples available for HOWTO startup vdr when there is no
> screen/keyboard connected (just the TV) to the computer.

My mainly RAM disk based vdr system runs like this. I simply call
everything from init (using the inittab). I'm using busybox's init, but
this should be the same for sysvinit (most distro's init).

this is the relevant line from inittab:

---snip
tty1::respawn:-/usr/bin/screen -D -m /usr/bin/vdrstart
---snip

you can see that I start it on tty1 (usually, there's a getty on tty1
for most distros), let it restart when it dies (respawn) and that I'm
running it in an attachable screen session. This is mostly because I
sometimes like to ssh into that system and have "normal" terminal
access to vdr (allows me to switch channels and to use my other PC's
keyboard as a remote control when I'm unable to find the right one --
or misconfigured my LIRC setup).

vdrstart is a batch script that mainly consists of this:
---snip
LANG=de_DE /usr/bin/vdr --lirc -c /mnt/etcvdr -v /mnt/video -s '/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/vdrshutdown' -L /usr/lib/vdr
---snip

vdr is compiled to drop priviledges, because of that I use sudo to
allow a shutdown.

Setting time is another problem. I've not yet solved it so that vdr can
use the inbuild feature. I'm currently happy with a 'sudo dvbdate'
command in my vdr command list, my system clock is reasonybly stable.

-hwh