[ANNOUNCE] VDR developer version 1.3.49

On Sonntag 30 April 2006 10:50, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Darren Salt wrote:
> > I demand that Klaus Schmidinger may or may not have written...
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >> Apparently PIC is only available on special processors, especially *not*
> >> Intel, [...]
> >
> > False. You need -fPIC for libraries on ARM, which means that you need it
> > on XScale - and that's an Intel processor...
>
> I looked up the -fPIC option in "Using and Porting GNU CC",
> version 2.95, where it says on page 110:
>
>    "This option makes a difference on the m68k, m88k, and the Sparc."
>
> Well, that manual is a little old, so maybe that information is outdated...
>
> Klaus

the same hint is still included in the manpage of "gcc (GCC) 4.0.2"

       -fPIC
           If supported for the target machine, emit position-independent
           code, suitable for dynamic linking and avoiding any limit on the
          size of the global offset table.  This option makes a difference on
          the m68k, PowerPC and SPARC.
          Position-independent code requires special support, and therefore
          works only on certain machines.

i my idea is likewise that it doesn't care on Intel systems.

Greets
J?rg Wendel