[ANNOUNCE] VDR developer version 1.3.49

Hi,

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:37:17 +0200 Klaus Schmidinger
<Klaus.Schmidinger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Did anybody else receive that posting?
> If so, can you please forward a copy to me?

I've attached it as it's smaller than other peoples' signatures :-)

> >> Or does this patch fix an actual problem?
> >
> > Well, I don't think compiling too much code as PIC will cause
> > problems (apart from (minor) possible performance lost),
> > nevertheless it is unneeded.
>
> Is that "compile time" or "runtime" performance?

Should be kind of "execution time", not exactly "runtime". It just adds
a few memory remappings on application startup by updating an address
lookup table. This may cause some additional memory lookups at runtime,
too. Albeit I'm interested in real numbers, I'm pretty sure it won't
affect performance too much.

> Apparently PIC is only available on special processors, especially
> *not* Intel, so I can't test this myself.

Hm, it should be available on intel.

> Let's wait with this until after version 1.4.

There are good reasons for doing it this way, yes.

-hwh