MPEG-4 AVC

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:46:20 +0200
Damien Bally <biribi@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger a ?crit :
> > Damien Bally wrote:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> Pay dvb-t channels are broadcasted in France in H.264 (stupid choice
> >> imho), as some transponders on the satellite.
> >> Is vdr capable of decoding MPEG-4 AVC streams ? Will it be ?
> >
> > VDR doesn't do any MPEG decoding itself.
> > You need a *device* that does this (or a plugin that does it
> > in software).
> > However, so far there are no such devices with LinuxDVB
> > driver support :-(
> >
> My question was asked in a wrong manner. I meant a sort of plugin or vdr
> enhancement that could recode on the fly MPEG-4 streams into MPEG-1 so
> the device can decode it. For instance, the way mplayer plays H.264
> Apple's trailers on a dxr3 card (well working and great picture)

Are those channels HDTV or SDTV? If they are HD, you would need a very
fast processor to do what you describe. Personally, I'd rather switch
the display to something better (a large CRT monitor, panel or
projector) and enjoy the much improved image quality. Xine-plugin would
be fine for this, but unfortunately libavcodec lacks support for
interlaced H.264, so 1080i and 576i won't work (unless they actually
happen to broadcast progressive 25 fps material, like movies). 720p50
should work fine if your CPU is up to the task.

There is currently no good VDR-based solution for your transcoding problem.
You could use VDR only for recording and watch the shows with MPlayer.
For HD video, finding a fast enough single-core processor (since MPlayer
is not multi-threaded) for real-time HD H.264 to MPEG-1 transcoding
could be difficult. Getting a new display is probably cheaper.

Regards,

Niko Mikkil?