DVD with AC3 audio question

Kartsa wrote:
>> From: "Karl Herz" <karl.herz@xxxxxx>
>>> Kartsa wrote:
>>> The problem is that there is no TV channels with AC3 sounds that I
>>> can verify with. But the same DVD can be played back on my DVD
>>> player which is connected to my A/V receivers coaxial input.
>>>
>>> The problem is that vdr quits when I've specified the -a option and
>>> I try to watch a DVD with AC3 sound.
>>>
>>> I take that you use the -a option with vdr? May I ask what your vdr
>>> start command looks like?
>>>
>>> Anyway I'll have to try the CVS version of DVD plugin.
>>>
>>> Maybe the reason is that my FF card is a dvb-c Technotrend :)
>>>

>> Did you use an AC3 sound decoder?
>> I use the a52dec decoder, therefore my vdr -a option looks like this:
>>
>> vdr -a '/usr/local/bin/a52dec -o oss6' ...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Karl
>>
> I was in the impression that the AC3 stream would come out from the
> SPDIF connector which I have connected to my A/V receiver which has
> the decoder. Or am I missing here something? I have vdr -a ac3play.

You are right - the AC3 decoder is your A/V-receiver. For me it works
and I do not set the -a option at all. Just ./vdr -Pdvd ...
Did you tried the dvd CVS version?

You said that you never used AC3 before because you do not receive
AC3-channels from your cable network. On my Hauppauge FF-card the
firmware must do a trick do deliver AC3 on the SPDIF by encapsulating
the AC3 pakets in PCM. Some AV-receivers cannot handle that. I believe
that Technotrend is the same.

Maybe that's a problem but it is probably not the reason why VDR crashes
when replaying AC3 DVDs.

So please try the following:

- install CVS version of DVD plugin
- start VDR without -a option
- verify setup (VDR and plugin) that AC3 out is enabled.

Regards Peter