[RFC] plugins replacing main menu entries 1-4

Hi!

Udo Richter schrieb:

> Christian Wieninger wrote:
>
>> A real replacement currently can only be done when patching VDR, so
>> what do you think about the following change of the MenuMain
>> constructor in menu.c? :

>>  cPlugin *p = NULL;
>>  switch (State) {
>>    case osSchedule:                p = CallFirstService("schedule");
>>        AddSubMenu(p?(cOsdMenu *)p->MainMenuAction():new cMenuSchedule);
>>        break;
>

> The Service() interface is probably the wrong interface for such
> things. VDR shouldn't rely on this interface, its primarily for
> non-standard communication.
>
> Also, your suggestion will call MainMenuAction for each menu entry,
> how should the plugin know which one was called?
>
> On the other hand, the current menu scheme needs an overhaul anyway,
> as the main menu is flooded with plugin entries. Such a customized
> main menu could easily hide the schedule/channels/timers/recordings
> menu, or move the default entries somewhere else. Plugin main menu
> entries could take over their place.
>
> What about this one: Add an interface that allows a plugin to catch this:
>
>   Menu = new cMenuMain;
>
> ... and either create an own main menu, or modify the existing one.
> (several plugins should be able to do some modifications one after the
> other)

A customizable menu would be the nicest feature for that, but I think an
easy solution would be to search plugins with the name "schedule",
"timers", "recordings" and so on and if it exists it should replace the
main-menu-entry vdr provides.

Just my 2ct. Bye,
Andreas Brugger