AW: [RFC] Eliminating the 'summary' field of timers

vdr-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>> - The 'summary' field in the timer definition becomes a pure
>>   string parameter, into which (external) applications can
>>   write whatever they like. VDR will read and write it, but
>>   otherwise won't do anything with it. The name of this field
>>   would be changed to something like 'aux' or so.
>>
>> - The description of a recording is taken exclusively from its
>>   related EPG data. If an application wants to use a different
>>   description it would have to set it with SVDRP/PUTE and use
>>   table ID 0x00, so that it won't be overwritten (as a side effect,
>>   however, this would also disable VPS for such an event).
>>   An added bonus of this method would be that not only the
>>   'description' can be set, but also 'title' and 'short text'.
>
> I like the fact that all my recordings have a summary - even those
> that are recorded from channels which do not have any EPG info.

Me too, i program all my timers via skript from a website and i use the
summaries to create the menues (and text) for the DVD-Menues. I also add
episodenumbers to keep everything in order. So this change might have a big
impact because i let the timers be programmed and change via vdradmin the
summaries and titles, so i8'm finished after cutting. I don't want to change
this. So if this change is what i think, than my automatic programming of
timers will not work correctly and my vdrconvert scripts will create ugly
dvds... :(

> This is because epg2timers takes the summary from the web EPG and
> enters it into the timer entry. When the actual recording takes
> place, vdr moves the summary into the info.vdr file.
>  This is nice as it is. I would consider it a step backwards if you
> break it.

Me too and i will stay with 1.3.42 for a longer time

> Carsten.

/hgm.bg