VDR server(/client) options

Oliver Joa <ojoa@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Luis Palacios wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>      IN
>>     dvb-*
>>     |   |             Normal
>>  +--------+          Antenna
>>  |  vdr   |            _///
>> +-|  box   |            |\\\
>> | +--------+            |
>> |    |    |             O
>> IR    |    |             |
>> /RF  net  tvout/audio   /
>>     |   +-+-------+  /
>>     |   |modulator|_/
>>     |   +-+-------+
>>     |     |
>>     |     |        +------+
>>     |     antenna  | TV   |     remote+
>>     |     cabling--|      |  +  IR/RF
>>     |              +------+
>>     | +------+
>>     +-|vdr   |
>>       |client|+-------+
>>       +--+---+|Monitor|
>>          +----+or  TV |
>>               +-------+
>
> i have the same problem like you. i am searching/waiting for a
> streaming-solution which gives the complete picture, including osd,
> and maybe a solution for transporting the remote-control-commands back
> to the server. i think a lot of people want to have a
> fat-server/thin-multiple-client -solution. i wonder how people get
> enough cables from antenna to nearby the tv. i have only one cable, so
> i can not put in more than 1 card.

Here I don't have analog tv nor analog tvout, but I have 2 dvb-s
cards.

For me the perfect solution would be a mix of xine+net and streamdev.
Ideally vdr-xine (+ network) would allow several clients to connect
independently.
It would use multicast to send the video and use tcp to get command
from the client.

I could run 2 vdr processes and have a vdr-xine+network per vdr. but it's
not handy on the client side. (sure, there're always solutions...)
(either 1 dvb card per vdr, or the 2 cards for the 1st vdr and the 2nd
vdr connected to the first with streamdev vtp)

There might be constraints in vdr or/and vdr-xine not allowing this
more easily, i'm don't really know.
I guess vdr 1.5 could be even more modular ! :)