Thread start functions and external C linkage (VDR starts it's threads "incorrectly")

Sascha Volkenandt schrieb:
> The reason is that a thread start function handed to pthread_create MUST have
> external C linkage, which is not guaranteed to be the case with static
> members. In fact, many compilers declare such members with the same calling
> conventions that an extern "C" function uses, but the standard doesn't
> require this. Indeed, there are (according to external informations)
> compilers that act differently here.

IMHO calling conventions ( like _stdcall and _cdecl ) are about
parameter cleanup and ordering and exnrnal c linkage is about how the
function name is written ( mangled or not). I can see that calling
convention could make problems with pthread, but cannot see what extern
"C" should have to to with that.
please enligthen me.

regards,
gunnar