Streaming compliant with IPTV STB

Hi Udo,

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 03:57 +0100, Udo Richter wrote:
> Vladimir Kangin wrote:
> > I would like to raise a discussion about VDR compliance with a wide
> > range available STBs (Set-Top-Box) for IPTV carrier integration.
> >
> > The advantage of such compliance is obvious - low cost of STB. The cost
> > of STB is in the range of 80-150 USD.
>
> I'm not sure about what you're actually talking. Do you want VDR to act
> as IPTV receiver, do you want VDR to act as a relay from classic digital
> TV to IPTV boxes, do you want some IPTV box with VDR as software, or do
> you want to use a IPTV box as VDR remote front end?

The last one is true :) IPTV STBs usually are very limited, I doubt that
VDR can be loaded on it. While it ideal low-cost remote frontend staff.

> > The compliance is actually matter of:
> >
> > 1) multicast MPEG-TS streaming support;
>
> As for receiving multicast, this is possible with streamplayer plugin.
> Transmitting could be done with VLC and streamdev - or even with VLC alone.

Yes, that's true. VLC and streamdev i had in mind but that is not tided
with VDR and could work as an proof of concept so far.

> > 2) vdradmin support for multiuser STB environment.
>
> I'm not sure what this is supposed to be.
In order to interact from IPTV STBs with backend the middle-ware
required. The main role of middle-ware to reply on http requests and
provide either RTSP URL or multicast group to STB. Basically middle-ware
is a kind of web site that take in to account that STB could overlay
http page on a top of video received via multicast. In theory vdradmin
could be extended to support IPTV STBs.