Re: cChannel::Nid() should be renamed to cChannel::Onid()

Marcel Wiesweg wrote:
> Am Freitag 10 Februar 2006 13:55 schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
>
>>Patrick Fischer wrote:
>>
>>>The Function cChannel::Nid() returns the OridignalNetworkID and not the
>>>NetworkID, so it is a little bit confusing.
>>>This are two differents Values.
>>>So the cChannel::Nid() should return the NetworkID and cChannel::Onid()
>>>should return the OriginalNetworkID.
>>>I know vdr will not use this values, but I do.
>>
>>I was sometimes wondering what the difference between the two is.
>>Can you enlighten me?
>

> To identify a transport stream (onid-tid), a service (onid-tid-sid or
> onid-sid) or an event, you have to use the onid. As I understand it,  the
> idea is that the onid identification is (in theory) independent from the
> physical network which is identified by the nid.
> When you have a look at
> http://www.dvb.org/products_registration/dvb_identifiers/
> there a two lists, for nid and onid, although many values are identical.
> I think in practice you almost always use the onid.
>
> Marcel

So it would appear that the "networkId" is pretty useless to VDR.
Since VDR only needs one value to identify the "network", and won't
even look at the other one, I'd like to leave it as it is now, so
it's "Network/Transponder/Service". I'd go as far as adding a comment
to channels.h, though, that says

struct tChannelID {
private:
   int source;
   int nid; // actually the "original" network id
   int tid;
   int sid;
   int rid;

Klaus