one recording vdr and one replay vdr

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 03:11:08PM +0000, Laz wrote:
> On Saturday 11 February 2006 13:34, Peer Oliver Schmidt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to have a one VDR machine near my satellite dish to do the
> > recordings and another VDR machine to replay the recordings and do live
> > TV. The /video should be shared via NFS.
> >
> > Anyone done this? Problems / suggestions are welcome.
>
> I do something similar: my main vdr box is downstairs and does all the
> recording and gets used for most of the playback. Upstairs, I have another
> vdr box used solely for playback.

I also have the same setup - one VDR near the dish - in my case with 4
DVB-devices and one VDR-box in the living room that I'm using as client.
I have mounted the "server" video-directory using NFS at the client.

I have some problems to get picture at the client sometimes - when it
happens I have to switch channel until I get picture - then I can switch
back to the channel I wanted to see. I'm also having to Hauppauge MVP's
using vompserver that streams from the server and they always get
picture so I think it has something with streamdev or xine to do?

> I'm doing any nfs mounting and unmounting on the 'playback system' through the
> command menu rather than at boot: no real reason for this, just how I set it
> originally! I'm mounting it on a subdirectory off the local /video directory.
> Like this, the recordings end up being sorted by date because they are
> assumed to be episodes of the same thing. I think I originally set it like
> this so that there wasn't any chance of my epg file or anything else being
> overwritten by accident! Once they recordings are mounted, you need to
> 'touch /video/.update' before you can see them: this gets done as part of my
> mount command.

I've been trying with that a little but I didn't really understand how
it should work? It feels like that the video-dircetorys gets updated
anyway? If I touch .update in the shared video-directory it just stays
there - can anyone tell me how this works in the latest VDR-versions?

/ Lars