Vdradmin channels compatibility problem

I'm now using VDR 1.3.39-1 (Darren Salt's deb) and vdradmin-am-3.4.3rc
with DVB-T in the UK (Freeview). I've still got the same annoying
problem with vdradmin's channel configuration that I've had for ages.
Generally, when I try to add channels to the menus in vdradmin's
Configuration page, they won't appear, seemingly at random. Later on
some of them do; I think this may be caused by VDR doing an EPG scan.

When I raised this complaint once before, one of the authors commented
something about, "Perhaps we shouldn't filter out channels [something or
other]". So I had a look at the code and saw that it was skipping
channels without EPG data. I removed that check, but it didn't help much
because it wouldn't show any data for those channels.

Now that I've got softdevice running again instead of running VDR as a
recording daemon with no output, I just did an experiment. In VDR I
viewed the schedule for one of the channels vdradmin refused to display.
When I looked again in vdradmin that channel had become available.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk