Run vdr as non-root

Hallo everybody,

   By now I ran vdr as root. I wanted to change that but never did...

When the setuid-stuff was introduced I now managed to do so. Since I
beleive some people use Debian (like me)
I will shortly describe what has to be done to eliminate access problems.
I don not use LIRC so there will be no hints about that.

1. Create group vdr

groupadd vdr

2. Create user vdr (no shell, home directroy will be video dir)

useradd -s /bin/false -d /home/recordings -g vdr

3. Add user vdr to other groups if necessary (edit /etc/group)

for DVD-access => disc

4. Chown your video-dir

chown vdr.root /home/recording -R

5. Modify DVB-devices

chown root.vdr /dev/dvb -R

6. Modify input-dev (for remote control)

chown root.vdr /dev/input/event*

7. Modify /proc/av7110_ir (Nexus remote-control)
if you do not use a NEXUS-S with remote control you will probably have
to modify something else

chown root.vdr /proc/av7110_ir
chmod 661 /proc/av7110_ir

8. Modify VDR-configuration dir

by now vdr itself will start as long as the config was world readable.
The text2skin caused a crash. To manage that I had to give write access
to plugins/text2skin and themes in the configuration dir.

chown root.vdr /etc/vdr -R
chmod 775 /etc/vdr/themes -R
chmod 775 /etc/vdr/plugins/text2skin -R

Regards Peter