Recordings > 24 hours

Olaf Titz wrote:
>>For playbackability with VDR in the 'simplest' case you only need to fix
>>the file-number in the index.vdr-file and append that onto the first
>>recording and move the XXX.VDR-files with the fixed name into the first
>>recording dir.
>>
>>But that way the overlapp would still be there.
>>
>>So you needed a program that finds the exact frame where the first
>>recording stopped. Then finds the exact same frame in the next recording
>>and then copies the portion of 001.vdr from the next-recording and appends
>>and fixes the content of the index.vdr beginning after the frame you
>

> A bit simpler:
>
> 1. Move all the nnn.vdr files into new directories, renumbering them in
>    the right order and make sure that each possible overlap is
>    actually in one dir. E.g. if you have 1/001-1/005, 2/001-2/255,
>    3/001-3/023 you could reorder this as
>    x1/001-x1/004 (from 1/001-1/004)
>    x2/001-x2/099 (from 1/005, 2/001-2/098)
>    x3/001-x3/178 (from 2/100-2/255, 3/001-3/023)
>    (You can completely disregard index and other files.)
>
> 2. Run genindex in each of the new dirs.
>
> 3. Fix the cut-points. This is left as the only programming exercise,
>    but supposedly noad can do this already (-o flag).
>
> 4. Run vdrsync --cut or whatever.
>
> I'm doing this routinely (by hand, don't ask me for a script :-) to
> join multi-part episodes of certain shows. Here the first step is
> trivial as most recordings consist only of 2 or 3 nnn.vdr files and
> for the third step I need noad anyway.

I like my idea better. :-)

But i already have scripts for parsing index.vdr and finding a specific
frame in a recording.
(But i need it to find the same cutting-marks in the same recording from
a different VDR-instance(*) for find a the 'longest' (byte-wise)
recording which is most like without recording errors.)

So all i needed to do if i had this problem would be a bit of glue for
the pieces i already have. :-)

*: I have 3 VDR-machines and if possible i record the same broadcast
with all 3 machines. This greatly minimized the 'risk' of losing a
recording due to errors. (Execept errors on sending side or when the
weather is so bad the even the reception doesn't work)

Bis denn