Problem in migrating vdr 1.2.6 -> vdr-1.3.37-0.lvn.1.4

Otto J. Makela wrote:
> The vdr package drops files to /etc/sysconfig, /etc/vdr, /srv,
> /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/sbin, /usr/share, /var/cache, /var/lib, plus
> of course /etc/rc.d and /var/run. It'd be nice to have it immediately
> pointed out to you that /etc/vdr is where the configs are, /srv is
> where the recordings go and /var/cache is where the epg is stored, as
> the "documentation" in /usr/share/doc of course says nothing about
> these things. I'm not sure how standard these locations are at this
> point of vdr development?

They are not. Each distribution has its own plan for file locations and
startup concepts.

VDR defaults to put config, epg and recordings into /video.
Documentation is in the source directory, and the default install
location is /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/bin/PLUGINS/lib. Man pages go
to /usr/local/man.
Since there is no default startup concept, there are no init scripts.

If you want these details documented, complain to the package
maintainer. However, from experience, I already don't expect such things
to be documented. I often examine package file lists and reading startup
scripts to get the info I want.

>>> documentation. Of course the fact that vdr says the firmware
>>> should go to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware instead of the correct
>>> location /lib/firmware did not help much, could this be fixed?

AFAIK this location is only valid for very recent versions of the
hotplug manager dated 2004-09-20 or newer. Older versions prefer
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware. The message however is from DVB kernel driver
and it may be a good idea to mention both locations in the future.

Cheers,

Udo