Working around EPG bugs? (was: ... Finnish EPG bugs?)

I demand that Rolf Ahrenberg may or may not have written...

> On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>> This is apparently caused by VDR's EPG "bugfix":

> Yep, I know that and the only reason I've been using bugfix level 1 is "No
> Title" fix. Could we move that to level 0 ?

I'd prefer to see named fixes with individual switches.

Per-channel settings may help where one source is fine at level 0 but another
source requires a fix which breaks the first source: I already knew that the
BBC are doing something odd for accented letters: for "caf?", the EPG data
contains "caf?e", but (picked up when grepping epg.data) at least one channel
is using UTF-8 ("??" is a dead giveaway).

Two example EPG entries follow. The first is from BBC Radio 3; the second is
from some dull boring shopping channel.

E 42224 1131519600 10800 51
T Morning on 3
S Sandy Burnett continues to feature Haydn's The Creation, plus works by Estienne Moulini?e, Faur?e, Damar?e, Wagner and Saint-Sa?ens.
X 2 03 eng

E 45653 1131278400 3600 50
T Gifts under ??30
S Stuck for present ideas? Check out our inspirational selection of gifts for family and friends, all priced at less than ??30.
X 1 03 eng
X 2 03 eng

Anybody using Freeview can see this. I'd grab some raw data, but the
football's on now...

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt | nr. Ashington, | d youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk
| Debian,     | Northumberland | s zap,tartarus,org
| RISC OS     | Toon Army      | @
|   Kill all extremists!

Among the lucky, you are the chosen one.