Working around Finnish EPG bugs?

Marko M?kel? wrote:
> I'm watching Finnish DVB-T streams with VDR.  Often, the EPG information
> for a program contains part of the description of the previous or following
> program.  EPG bugfix level is set to 2.  Should it be configured differently
> for Finnish transponders?  Has anyone tried to contact the transponder
> people?

Hi Marko,

I called Digita last spring regarding the EPG-data, and I had an
interesting chat with the person charge of these things.

I asked why Digita does not supervise that the data our broadcasters are
sending is correct. I mainly pointed out that the data is put into wrong
EPG-fields, and that because of that the program-description is chopped off.

I was realy surprised when he answered that the broadcasters are using
an old system where they add program-data mainly for the newspapers and
for own purposes, and that they have no intentions on modernifying it.
This system brings also problems with classifying the programs correctly
because they use ancient classes for the programs (e.g. sports, news
cartoons)

But the most wired thing was the explanation about bandwidth. The guy
told me that Digita saves bandwidth by just letting the broadcasters use
selectd epg-data fields (program name, short description etc) instead of
letting them use all.

I would suggest that more people should just pick up the phone and call
Digita and ask why they do not supervise the correctness of the
EPG-data. Also the dvb-subtitling should be fixed by Mtv3 and Nelonen...
YLE did that already, but what I read from this article
http://digitoday.fi/showPage.php?page_id=11&news_id=49753 it seems that
MTV3 wont do anything to bring dvb-subtitles to the public either... :-(

Ren?