Hauppauge Nova-T DVB-T card problems

I demand that Andrew Herron may or may not have written...

> I am new to VDR and to DVB-T and I have been trying to configure VDR 1.3.34
> to work with 2 Hauppauge Nova-T DVB-T cards under Debian (kernel 2.6.13)
> and have run into some problems. Can someone confirm that the output of
> dmesg (below) looks to be ok in respect of the NOVA-T cards?

>  dmesg output;
>  cx2388x v4l2 driver version 0.0.5 loaded
> PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 0000:02:0a.0
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 5 with 0000:02:0a.2
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 5 with 0000:02:0a.4
> cx88[0]: subsystem: 0070:9002, board: Hauppauge Nova-T DVB-T
[snip]

Probably OK.

> cx88[0]: registered IR remote control

OOI, is the default mapping adequately useable on these cards? If not, I have
a patch (for budget-ci, intended for use with older Nova-T cards, but
probably adaptable to cx88) which will allow programming from userspace.
One of the keymap loaders in dvb-utils should be useable or adaptable.

[snip]
>  When we run w_scan to generate channels.conf we get the following error;
>  moon2:/tmp/w_scan# ./w_scan -o3 >> /var/lib/vdrdevel/channels.conf

w_scan? How does this differ from scan (in dvb-utils)?

> Info: using DVB adapter auto detection. Info: unable to open frontend
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0'
[snip]

Which modules are loaded? According to the kernel configuration help, you
want cx88, cx88-dvb and one of four front-end modules, in this case mt352 or
cx22702. (I don't know which; my Nova-T is older and uses tda1004x.)

Does that device node exist? If so, check the permissions. If not, the answer
depends on whether you're using udev.

Without udev:
  # cd /dev && MAKEDEV dvb

With udev: make sure that you're using the version currently in unstable. (If
you still don't get device nodes, proceed as for without udev.)

| Debian,     | s zap,tartarus,org            | Northumberland
| RISC OS     | @                             | Toon Army
| <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/progs.packages.html> VDR & xine

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional!